Neodymium Magnet Safety

Danger

Electrical conductivity

Magnets are made of metal and conduct electricity.
Children might try to put magnets into a power outlet and thereby suffer from an electric shock.

Magnets are not toys! Make sure that children don't play with magnets.

Danger

Swallowing

Children could swallow small magnets.
If several magnets are swallowed, they could get stuck in the intestine and cause perilous complications.

Magnets are not toys! Make sure that children don't play with magnets.

Caution

Nickel allergy

Many of our magnets have coatings that contain nickel.

  • Some people have an allergic reaction when they come into contact with nickel.

  • Nickel allergies could develop from constant contact with nickel-plated objects.

  • Avoid constant skin contact with nickel-plated magnets.

  • Avoid contact with magnets if you already have a nickel allergy.

Caution

Magnetic field

Magnets produce a far-reaching, strong magnetic field. They could damage TVs and laptops, computer hard drives, credit and ATM cards, data storage media, mechanical watches, hearing aids and speakers.

  • Keep magnets away from devices and objects that could be damaged by strong magnetic fields.

Caution

Combustibility

When machining magnets, the drilling dust could easily ignite.

Stay away from machining magnets or use appropriate tools and sufficient cooling water.

Warning

Contusions

Big magnets have a very strong attractive force.

  • Unsafe handling could cause jamming of fingers or skin in between magnets. This may lead to contusions and bruises.

  • Powerful, very large magnets could cause bone fractures.

Wear heavy protective gloves when handling larger magnets.

Warning

Heavy objects

Too heavy loads, symptoms of fatigue as well as material defect could cause a magnet or magnetic hook to loosen from the surface that is was attached to.
Falling objects could lead to serious injuries.

  • The indicated adhesive force applies only to ideal conditions. Allow for a high safety cushion.

  • Don't use magnets in places where people could sustain injuries in case of material failure.

Warning

Pacemaker

Magnets could affect the functioning of pacemakers and implanted heart defibrillators.

  • A pacemaker could switch into test mode and cause illness.

  • A heart defibrillator may stop working.

  • If you wear these devices keep sufficient distance to magnets.

  • Warn others who wear these devices from getting too close to magnets.

Warning

Metal splinters

Neodymium magnets are brittle. Colliding magnets could crack.
Sharp splinters could be catapulted away for several meters and injure your eyes.

  • Avoid the collision of magnets.

  • Wear safety glasses when handling larger magnets.

  • Make sure that nearby people are also protected or keep their distance.

Notice

Splintering of coating

Most of our neodymium magnets have a thin nickel-copper-nickel coating to protect them from erosion. This coating could splinter or crack due to collision or large pressure. This makes them vulnerable to environmental influences like moisture and they could oxidise.

  • Separate big magnets, especially spheres, with a piece of cardboard.

  • Avoid collisions of magnets as well as repeated mechanical exposure (e.g. blows, bashes).

Notice

Mechanical treatment

Neodymium magnets are brittle, heat-sensitive and oxidise easily.

  • When drilling or sawing a magnet with improper tools, the magnet may break.

  • The emerging heat may demagnetise the magnet.

  • The magnet will oxidise and disintegrate due to the damaged coating.

Stay away from mechanical treatment of magnets if you do not possess the necessary equipment and experience.

The magnets we supply are made from neodymium; this means they are among the strongest magnets in the world and the force at which they attract to steel and each other can cause serious injury if necessary safety precautions are not followed.Place two magnets close to each other, even small ones, and they will attract, leap towards each other with great acceleration and then slam together. It is easy to get caught out by magnets and lack of concentration is the single biggest cause of injury when handling magnets.

Company Info

Customer Service

Shop with us

Please reload

Please reload

Please reload

Subscribe for Updates

Copyright 2020 © - Diving Magnets (Pty) Ltd.